Winter is coming, so now is a good time to check your home or office to ensure that all your smoke alarms and safety switches are ready to protect, in working order, and positioned correctly to ensure you are in line with the Queensland regulations.
The following information is the legislation from the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services:
The legislation also details the ongoing smoke alarm maintenance obligations of lessors and tenants. In summary, the legislation requires that:
• smoke alarms complying with Australian Standard 3786-1993 be installed in houses and units (Class 1a and 2 buildings under the Building Code of Australia) by 1 July 2007. Smoke alarms are readily available from major hardware stores and retailers;
• smoke alarms are located outside sleeping areas and one on each level of the dwelling. These location requirements are the same as those that apply for homes built since July 1997. This means that if you live in a property built since July 1997 the property should already have the correct type and number of smoke alarms installed;
• existing homes that have undergone certain renovations may require, at the Certifier’s discretion, an upgrade to hard-wired smoke alarms; • lessors install alarms and replace them before the end of their service life (smoke alarms are required to have a recommended service life of at least 10 years under normal conditions of use);
• lessors test and clean smoke alarms and replace batteries where they are spent, within 30 days before the start of a tenancy (including the renewal of an existing tenancy);
• tenants test and clean smoke alarms at least once every 12 months during a tenancy and replace spent batteries during the tenancy; and
•landlords have a right of entry to install smoke alarms under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 – Section 192.
(see more here information queensland fire and emergency services)
Fully Wired Electrical Services would like to offer a bundled service of $99 inc GST* for a qualified electrician to complete a thorough audit of all smoke alarms and safety switches, as well as a visual inspection of the switchboard. We will replace any batteries and clean all smoke alarms, included in the price. Our electrician will also provide a report and recommendations for any replacements or additional installation of smoke alarms or safety switches.
*Service must be booked before the end of April, 2016